Who doesn’t love a glowy, sun-kissed skin? If it wasn’t for the risk of sunburn and epidermis damage, all of us would spend summer days carelessly basking in UV rays. But, what if you could eliminate the risk of damage and still get that lovely bronze tan? With best tanning oil for your skin, you can do just that.
In this tanning oil review, we’ll help you find best sun tanning oil for skin protection and radiant bronze tan. Yes, you can get it both, believe it or not! Whether you are planning to stay outdoors or just use a tanning bed, we’ve got you covered.
Read below to find the best tanning oil and ensure you look like a Greek Goddess this summer.
|Art Naturals Protective Body Tanning Oil|
|Australian Gold Dark Tanning Intensifier Oil|
|Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Sun Care Moisturizing Oil|
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Tanning Oil?
- 2 How Does It Work?
- 3 How To Pick The Right Tanning Oil?
- 4 Top 5 Tanning Oil Reviews
- 4.1 1. Art Naturals Protective Body Tanning Oil
- 4.2 2. Australian Gold Dark Tanning Intensifier Oil
- 4.3 3. Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Sun Care Moisturizing Oil
- 4.4 4. Banana Boat Dark Tanning Oil Spray SPF 4
- 4.5 5. All Natural Dark Tanning Oil by Tropical Sands
- 5 Conclusion
What Is Tanning Oil?
Tanning oil is meant to promote production of melanin. As a result, you get better and faster results with your tan. Instead of exposing your skin to sun and UV rays for a long time to achieve a deep color, use tanning oil. The best tanning oil is the one that can give you a nice bronze tan but also keep the skin free from burning and peeling. Too boot, it will also moisturize the skin and prevent itchiness and skin tightness from sunbathing.
How Does It Work?
Most tanning oil contains DHA as a main ingredient. DHA is a dihydroxyacetone, a colorless sugar. It interacts with the dead skin and darkens its color on the very surface of the epidermis. The tanning effect from using the oil last up to 7 days. Human skin has a natural process of eliminating dead skin every 35 to 45 days.
Tanning oils work on the same principle as tanning lotions, sprays, and bronzers. There are also tanning pills which distribute canthaxanthin, a color additive all over the body. Unfortunately, this will give your body a rather orange, so-called Oompa Loompa tan. The pill is known to have many side effects. Compared to tanning sprays or oils, it’s an inferior solution.
How To Pick The Right Tanning Oil?
- If you have sensitive skin, make sure that you’re not allergic to any of the ingredients in the sun tanning oil.
- For people who have dry or sensitive skin, best tanning oil is the one with moisturizing properties.
- Price: Best sun tanning oils can be expensive- make sure you’re making a good investment. Cheaper alternatives can often cost you more in the long run!
- Size: Try to buy a bigger bottle that will last you throughout your holiday or summer. Some products are very concentrated and used in small amounts, so they’ll pay off even more.
- SPF: If you are planning to stay outdoors for long periods of time, make sure the tanning oil has some sunscreen in it.
- If it doesn’t come with a sunscreen, then apply sunscreen prior to getting out in the sun.
- If you want to make a break from sunbathing and jump into the pool to cool off, get water-resistant or waterproof sun tanning oil.
Top 5 Tanning Oil Reviews
1. Art Naturals Protective Body Tanning Oil
This is the best tanning oil for people who want to get a rich dark tan. Apply it before going out in the sun to enhance your tan or after showering- as a moisturizer.
- It contains Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil and Avocado Oil, all of which nurture and protect skin from damage
- This is the best sun tanning oil if you want to tighten aging skin or use it over a self-tanner
- Includes anti-aging ingredients such as green tea, sea algae, and chamomile extract rich in antioxidants that prevent cell damage
- Owing to its serum-like consistency, this product is good for all skin types, especially oily skin as it’s not greasy
- It is one of the few paraben-free and cruelty-free tanning oils.
- Coconut oil used in this product helps tone the skin and lessens any dimples on problem areas, from the very first use
- The unique formula tightens sagging skin and keeps your buttocks, upper thighs and arms firm and toned.
2. Australian Gold Dark Tanning Intensifier Oil
Australian Gold is the industry leader. All of their products have been constantly ranking as the best sun tanning oils on the market. They are also tested and approved by COLIPA and FDA, so there’s no doubt about their safety. This tanning intensifier oil is suitable for all skin types.
- It has a ColorBoost intensifier which helps skin develop a dark color faster
- The Vitamin A and E nourish the skin and make it smooth and soft
- Its beach-inspired fragrance, the tropical coconut, is very nice
- Thanks to its dry oil formula, it won’t stick to your clothes
- This tanning product contains no mineral oil so it won’t clog your pores
- If you want to accelerate your tanning, get glowy skin and smell delightful while you’re at it, this is the best sun tanning oil for you.
3. Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Sun Care Moisturizing Oil
This tanning oil by Hawaiian Tropic will make your skin bronze and soft. It is formulated to soothe skin while promoting a dark tan. Hawaiian tropic is a trusted brand synonymous with a perfect golden skin!
- It contains a blend of rich oils to nourish and moisturize skin
- Due to its ingredients and powerful tanning effect, this product is suitable for pale skin
- The hydrating formula is easy to apply
- It has antioxidants with vitamin A, C and E which will make your skin softer and prevent UV rays from burning your skin
- This is a good option if you are looking for a faux tan at a drugstore price. Additionally, this sun tanning oil is capable of enhancing a faded tan.
4. Banana Boat Dark Tanning Oil Spray SPF 4
Having in mind that Banana Boat has been making best sunscreen for sportsmen, it’s no surprise that their tanning oil is one of the best, too. This product was tested in various different conditions to prove its worth. Sun, pool, ocean water, sand, sweat and temperatures over 100 degrees didn’t lower its performance.
- The banana, carrots and coconut oils and extract give your skin a silky feel
- Available in two SPFs, it provides a broad range of UVA and UVB protection
- Water resistant formula for up to 80 minutes
- It is recommended that you use this spray all over your body and reapply frequently if staying out in the sun for more than an hour
- The absorbent formula doesn’t feel heavy on the skin
- Suitable for all skin types and perfect if you want to spend a day at the beach!
5. All Natural Dark Tanning Oil by Tropical Sands
Acapulco uses a perfect blend of natural oils to give you that perfect tan. Of course, the natural ingredients nurture your skin as well, keeping it youthful and radiant.
- This tanning oil is 100% natural with no harmful chemicals or emulsifiers. It is scent-free and hypoallergenic, as well.
- This waterproof formula is good for both outdoor and indoor use with no mineral oil. It will not damage your tanning bed in any way.
- Comes with a spray which makes application on the back very easy.
- The lightweight formula doesn’t feel greasy on skin
- This is one of the few tanning oils that are natural, biodegradable, and eco-friendly.
- Apply it twice a day -before tanning and after showering- to keep your skin moisturized and bronze.
Ever been to a tanning salon and ended up disappointed with the longevity of your bronze tan? If you want your sun-kissed skin to keep its color longer, we strongly recommend adding a tanning oil to your beauty routine.
Of course, just make sure you chose the best sun tanning oil for your needs and you’ll quickly see the results. Your skin will be tan for weeks after your vacation or simply look like you’ve visited an exotic island… even if you haven’t stepped foot out of your home!